Wednesday 20 July 2016

Creating a positive learning environment with a few good laughs.


"when used effectively, classroom comedy can improve student performance by reducing anxiety, boosting participation and increasing students' motivation to focus on the material." (par. 8)

Image retrieved from http://visual.ly/health-benefits-laughter
 
The quote above is from this article,  http://www.apa.org/monitor/jun06/learning.aspx  written by Zak Stambor for the American Psychological Association in 2006. In the article, called "How laughing leads to learning", Stambor interviews professors and researchers about the merits and pitfalls of using humour in the classroom. I was surprised to find out how much research has been done on the topic and happy to see that the evidence shows that humour has a profound effect on student's experiences of learning and even helps to reduce their stress levels to improve test results and retention of information.

I love to laugh and after reading this article I am convinced that when I start to teach I will need to be creative and come up with funny ways to deliver material and engage with my students. I like the idea of staging elaborate  musical acts such as the one that Professor Ron Berk talks about in the article (par. 4) but I think to start I will call on my natural sense of humour and ability to create rapport through empathy and use a more self deprecating or personal form of humour and story telling and see where it takes us.

There are so many ways to bring out laughter and if, like myself, you are not sure if you are funny enough to teach in this way I found another short little article from Humber College Centre for Teaching and Learning that has some great tips on how to "Laugh and Learn".

http://www.humber.ca/centreforteachingandlearning/assets/files/Teaching%20Resources/01%20Laugh%20and%20Learn-B.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment