Wednesday 27 July 2016

A conversation with my learning partner

I've been lucky to be able to connect with my learning partner face to face a couple of weeks ago and also to have a conversation via Facetime last night. We talked about where we each work and how we both had a hard time pinning down a trend in our fields. Lisa mentioned that her work in domestic violence for the RCMP is investigative and in training for it there is no room for discussion about theories it is done a certain way and it is important to follow the specific steps. I found that because my profession (Occupational and Physical Therapist Assistant) is relatively new it was hard to find articles written about it at all let alone articles about trends.

Some trends in adult education that have caught Lisa's eye are the flipped classroom and online learning as they are both very different than the structure of her university classes in the past.

We also discussed our futures as instructors and we differ in that Lisa has a more clear path in front of her at the moment and is already doing some presentations and training in the community whereas I am new to the college environment on a 1 year contract and am hoping that by taking these courses I will broaden my scope and be able to work as an instructor down the line but there is not yet a clear path for me.

Lisa's blog is called Tango Sierra and you can check it out by clicking the link under "Blogs I follow" to the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment