Sunday 21 August 2016

Self Directed Learning: Continuing "The Journey"


Image retrieved from: http://wesharepics.info/imagepgkl-person-standing-alone.asp, August 11, 2016

Since starting my first online course this past month I have become acutely aware of how I fare as a self directed learner. I was definitely nervous at the start and I had been told by a number of people that online courses were hard and not the way to go. I have discovered, however, that I really enjoy the process of online learning and being a self directed learner. The following article about self directed learning is from the University of Waterloo and is short but sweet:

https://uwaterloo.ca/centre-for-teaching-excellence/teaching-resources/teaching-tips/tips-students/self-directed-learning/self-directed-learning-four-step-process

This article gives some great information about the definition of self directed learning and what it takes to be a successful student and teacher. I especially like the section on "the responsibilities in the 4 step process" where the writer clearly identifies the roles of the students and the advising faculty.


No comments:

Post a Comment